Monday, December 22, 2014

Favorite Albums Of 2014

2014 was another great year in music. I am still subscribed to Spotify and there is so much new stuff out there! And old stuff! Seemingly every day I stumble into an artist that needs to be checked out. And with a catalog that can reach across the span of music history, I come across artists like Cab Calloway, Harry Belafonte, Ray Charles, and can experience their entire discography with a click of a mouse. Surprisingly, this is both good and bad.

It's good because I am more willing to take a chance on an artist when they fall under the $10 a month charge that is Spotify - and most are on there. And when an artist has been around for years just collecting dust, it is hard to feel that urgency to check them out like you would with a new, hyped album. It's one of those things that you need to go after yourself. With Spotify, I can dig and dig and dig until I find those older artists that I either missed or just weren't part of my generation. One can also find newer artists that may not be their usual cup of tea but might be worth a listen or two.

It's bad because I am a kid in a candy store. There are so many candies to choose from that I tend to take a bite out of one and, that quickly, have another catch my eye (or ear, in this case). I have listened to so much new music this year. Perhaps more than I ever have in my entire life! Because of this, it takes a lot for an album to keep fighting its way back to the top of my playlist.

I have also only bought about ten vinyl records all year. The prices have gone up so high that it is not even worth it (especially already having Spotify). I must wait until they become unpopular again. The few records I have bought have been older titles that are usually in the clearance bin. Some old Aretha Franklin, the E.T. soundtrack, even Bobby Brown's On Our Own single from Ghostbusters 2.

Anyway, here are some 2014 albums that kept themselves high up on my playlist. Hope it introduces you to an album or two that you may have missed.


-->
TV On The Radio - Seeds
I have loved these guys for years. This is the first album since their bass player sadly passed away and they have set their sights on music full of healing and possibilities. Their lead singer,  Tunde Adebimpe, can write a hook like it's no one's business. Great song-writing!


Aphex Twin - Syro
It has been too long since 2001's amazing album Drukqs. In my opinion, this is as strong as his earlier material (including the material he released in between under other names). Great programming and beats with a touch of evil and beauty behind all those ones and zeros.

 



Run The Jewels - RTJ2
This album gets me hype. I listen to it and my heartbeat begins to elevate. I have been running to RTJ1, Killer Mike's R.A.P. Music, and El-P's Cancer 4 Cure for awhile now because they are built to move to. This is the culmination of all those great albums distilled into one amazing piece of art.





Perfume Genius – Too Bright
Although I don't mind the slower piano ballads on this, it's the more lively, electronic songs that catch my interest when it comes to Perfume Genius. There is a heaviness to it all. An anger that hides under every note. There is also a haunted Motown vibe to it all.



Raime – Quarter Turns Over A Living Line
I write a lot. When I do, I find that music with lyrics tend to distract me. And when I am writing horror, I tend to want something dark and mysterious. Raime answers all these needs. And it is truly great music! Ricardo Donoso's A Song For Echo also falls into this category.


Spoon – They Want My Soul
Spoon is one consistent fucking band. Every album they have ever put out has contained a ton of great rock tunes. Here's another.




Tune-Yards – Nikki Nack
I admit that I was a tad disappointed in this album. I LOVE Tune-Yards and was really looking forward to this one. I like it a lot. I just wanted it to knock my socks off. She still has a very unique sound and a great voice. Maybe her next one will be the one.



Skrillex - Recess
Bro-Step is not a genre I find myself delving too deep into. However, I have always felt that Skrillex was the original voice in this much-repeated template and some of his "drops" are heavier than a Slayer mosh. I deleted some of the tracks on my Playlist but have boiled the album down to about seven great tracks.




St. Vincent – St. Vincent
My friend, Dale, and I went to see her play this album live in concert. It was freaking amazing.  Annie Clark's guitar sounds like a monster from outer space and the impressive part is that she manages to be that insane and still have a growing fan-base.


The Notwist – Close To The Glass
It has been awhile since the last Notwist album. And that last one, The Devil, You, and Me, is now a time-tested classic in my opinion. This one may not end up a classic, but it does have some great songs throughout. 


Rancid – Honor Is All We Know
I haven't loved a Rancid album since their punk rock classic And Out Comes The Wolves (1995!). Tim Armstrong put out a great solo album since but I thought the Rancid boys were done with great singalongs. I was wrong.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment